Who knew…The best treats for your pets are vegetables! #LifeisDelicious
Instead of giving your dog a raw hide chewy try celery, asparagus or ice cubes. With the recent recall of raw hides your pet will be protected while getting a nutritious treat. The average dog owner spends $65 a year on dog treats. Save some cash and improve the health of your pet by turning to the fridge first for Fido’s afternoon chewy-toy treat. You might need to try a variety of vegetables to discover which one is your pooch’s favorite.
Treats should only consume 20-80 calories of your dog’s daily calories. Not all foods are safe for your furry child and can even be toxic. To play it safe avoid: grapes, raisins, garlic, onions, avocado and chocolate. Avoid the pudgy pup syndrome and try these healthy treats (calories are in parentheses):
- Carrots: 1/8 Cup slices (7) Zucchini: 1 Cup (20)
- Asparagus 3 spears (10) Green Bell Peppers: ¼ Cup (7)
- Blueberries: 12 berries (10) Celery: 1 stalk (7)
- Strawberries: 1large (6) Cucumber: ½ Cup (8)
- Peaches ½ medium (30) Broccoli: ¼ Cup (7)